We are pleased to advise you that Cook’s centre and home child care programs will reopen effective Tuesday, August 4, 2020.
We want to share some of the changes you can expect when your child returns back into care.
Spaces are Limited When We Re-Open
If you have not already done so, it is time to connect with the Cook’s office to discuss placement options. Because there continues to be Ministry-directed capacity restrictions, Cook’s will not be operating at full capacity when we re-open and spaces are limited.
Call 905-372-2143 or email
Cook’s Home Child care Agency, email@example.com
Victoria Park Child Care Centre, firstname.lastname@example.org
- All families’ spaces are guaranteed when Cook’s is permitted to return to full capacity.
- Centre programs for children entering JK and older, will be offered in the centre from August 4 to September 4 only. The centre program for those attending school will be suspended when school starts until further notice.
Health & Safety Measures
Before re-opening, all centre staff and home child care providers will complete training requirements. Cook’s has introduced new health and safety measures as directed by the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health (HKPR District Health Unit).
Our website (www.cooksdaycare.ca) is being updated to include more detailed information about what is being done to manage the risks associated with COVID-19. Shortly, all families will be given online access to the new policies and required protocols. The new measures include individual daily health screening (for staff, home care providers, children, parents, and authorized visitors) prior to admittance to the program and new cleaning and disinfecting measures.
Early Learning Environment and Program Changes
- Less children in each room. (as directed by the Ministries of Education and Health).
- Same group of children will stay together (“cohorting”) and will not mix with other groups.
- The same staff will work with one group of children.
- Storage for children’s personal belongings will be spaced (i.e., use every second cubby).
- Less children at each table for play, snacks, and lunch.
- Toys or equipment that are difficult to clean and disinfect will be stored prior to re-opening and not used at this time (e.g. area carpets, plush toys, dress-up clothes, puppets, books, board games).
- Craft materials will be provided in individual kits/baskets for each child.
- Sensory activities (examples: water table, sand table, playdough, goop), will not be provided at this time.
- Where possible, outdoor playtime will be increased.
- Staff will incorporate fun learning activities that teach children about physical distancing and personal hygiene.
Drop Off and Pick Up Process
ONLY staff/providers, children, and authorized visitors (special needs resource people, delivery) will be granted access inside the homes/centre at this time. Parents/guardians will not be granted access inside the homes/centre at this time.
- This screening will be done by trained staff.
- Children and parents will be formally screened for illness daily at drop off.
- An individual screening checklist with questions that have been provided by public health will be provided in advance for your child and you to complete before arrival for both you and your child. Every day your child attends, the completed checklists must be presented to the screener at the entrance to your program. The checklists will be kept at the program for the day if admittance is granted to your child and returned to you at the end of the day. Important: there must be a separate checklist for each child and adult arriving at the program.
- Limiting the number of adults dropping off and picking up a child to one person is important to control congestion at the entrance.
- You and your child will have your temperature taken by the screener each day before admittance of your child is granted. A fever is 38.7 °C and higher.
- The presence of symptoms indicated on the screening form will be discussed on an individual basis to determine if admittance of your child can happen.
If Your Child is Granted Admittance for the Day
- At drop off, if your child is healthy, and screening is completed, the home provider or a staff member will meet you at the front entrance and escort your child inside to their activity area.
- At the end of each day, when you arrive at your program, call the home/centre phone number. The home provider or a centre staff member will escort your child to the front entrance where you can pick them up.
- Please allow extra time for both drop off and pick up.
Thanks for Your Patience & Understanding
We understand what a difficult time this has been for everybody. We want to assure you that the health, safety and wellbeing of children, families, staff, and home providers is an ongoing priority for us. It was necessary for Cook’s to take the time to plan our re-opening carefully.
We are committed to supporting families and we are excited about welcoming our Cook’s family back into our programs.