Together with other Members, the Board Member is legally and morally responsible for all activities of Cook’s School Day Care Inc., including:
- Board membership, recruitment of new members, as well as, providing opportunities for Board development.
- The Executive Members (President/Co-Chairperson, Vice-President/Co-Chairperson, Secretary, and Treasurer) are responsible for hiring, termination, and evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Setting and reviewing the Organization’s Mission Statement and Philosophy.
- Planning and evaluating short and long term goals.
- Ensuring the financial accountability of the Organization.
- Budget approval and review.
- Ensuring adequate funds are raised to support the Organization’s Policies and Programs.
- Public relations, which includes awareness that Board Members are always emissaries of the Organization in the community.
- Facilitating and maintaining cooperative actions with other Organizations.
- Ensuring that the Organization and its Board meet all legal requirements.
- Ensuring that the Board and Organizational operations are adequate and appropriate.
- Ensuring strict confidentiality of all matters concerning the Organization.
- A demonstrated interest in the Organization’s service goals.
- A representative of and advocate for not-for-profit early learning and child care.
- A willingness to expand one’s knowledge of Board responsibilities through ongoing education and/or training.
- A willingness to represent the Organization in the community.
Regular Board Meetings: Once per month approximately two (2) hours each Committee Meetings: As required and determined by the Committee Special Meeting: As needed (i.e., training, development, etc.)
The President/Co-Chairperson is the Chief Executive Officer of the Corporation, and in that capacity will preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and General Membership Meetings; in conjunction with the Vice-President/Co-Chairperson and Secretary, prepare the agenda for each meeting; and attest the minutes of each meeting. The President/Co-Chairperson shall be an Ex-Officio Member of all Standing and Ad-Hoc Committees.
The Vice-President/Co-Chairperson shall carry out such duties as prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time and shall be designated by the Board of Directors to assume the duties of the President/Co-Chairperson in the President’s/Co-Chairperson’s absence or inability to act.
The Treasurer shall be responsible for ensuring accurate accounts and shall present, in conjunction with the Administrative Assistant and the General Manager, Financial Statements at the regular meetings of the Board of Directors and perform other such duties as prescribed by the Board.
The Secretary shall keep minutes of all meetings of the Board of Directors and members, and shall carry out other duties as prescribed by the Board and as set down in the Corporations Act. In conjunction with the President, Vice-President, and General Manager the Secretary shall prepare the agenda for each meeting.
The minutes of Board of Directors’ meetings shall be made available to the Officers and Directors at least one week prior to the next scheduled meeting. The minutes of the Annual General Meeting or Special Meetings of the Membership must be available within one month following the meeting date.